Thursday, January 29, 2009
One good thing about a snow day is that I get to stay home and stamp! One thing I love to do with my stamping is to create beautiful candles. When Susana's Design Team started doing tutorials for the store's blog, Follow Your Heart, I knew what I wanted to do mine on! When I saw these lovely candles on other people's sites and blogs, I was intimidated about doing them. Jacqui from the PCP Whiff of Joy group put up a tutorial that made it look so easy, I had to try it for myself. It was so much easier than it looked and I fell in love with my new technique. I want everyone to try them! They're so much fun and who doesn't love candles?
The supplies I used were:
White Pillar Candle
White Tissue paper (like what you wrap shirts or blouses inside boxes in)
Color Medium (I used copics and Prismacolor markers)
Cut-Rite or kitchen wax paper
Embossing or Heating Tool
Embellishments like ribbon, Shimmerz, Stickles, Glitter Hearts, Bella Baubles, whatever you want to decorate your candle with.
1. Stamp your image onto the tissue paper and color with your favorite medium. Make sure that you have something behind your image because your inks will bleed through a bit.
2. Cut the excess tissue paper off. You don't have to trim it just to the outline because the tissue paper will blend into the candle with heating.
3. Center and place your colored image on your candle.
4. Place your wax paper for your image and pull it tight so that the entire image is flat against the candle.
5. Using your embossing tool, heat over your stamped image. Just like heat embossing, you'll be able to see the image as it melts into the candle. That's just so cool! After you've heated the entire image, carefully pull the wax paper off.
6. Here's what your candle looks like before you've added some finishing touches to it.
I colored her with some Pink Poinsettia Shimmerz, added some stickles, a glitter dot, Bella Baubles and some ribbon. I think she's just adorable!
I hope you will give it a try! You can made any type of candles you want for any occasion. Add whatever embellishments you'd like and make it your own. Personalize it. Everyone loves something that was made just for them.
Give it a try! After you do, leave us a link of direct us to where you've posted your candle. We'd love to see your work!
Candle Ingredients: Hearts and Hugs, Ruby Slippers, Tiara, and Grape Stickles, Pink Poinsettia Shimmers, Glitter Hearts, Bella Baubles, Ribbon, Pillar Candle, Rite-Cut Wax Paper, scissors, glue.